Welcome

I welcome you to my blog! It is my first blog, hope you like it. Click to Print This Page

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Internet vs Real World

Here is a perfect example of interactions online vs the real world. Click on the image to make it larger.

To maintain a relationship online could be very easily done because there isn't as much focus on the individual you are communicating with. If you are in a chat room, or instant messaging with a "friend", that friend will not know what the real situation is to why you got offline at a weird point in the conversation. You might sometimes hear the truth that maybe you lost connection to the Internet, or you really had to leave in a hurry for something. Other times you might not know why your "friend" got offline, maybe because they were sick of upholding a conversation and just want to explore online. Even text messaging is becoming this way as well. The phone might either be on silent or off, and the person that is sending the message doesn't really know why you are not responding. You and me both know that when someone doesn't return a text message in a matter of 10 minutes, it gets a little frustration. So, it is just too hard to tell if your "friend" is being honest or not, that's why we need to make a push for more face-to-face interaction.
In a world were technology is becoming more and more of a person's life, we need to not forget about the older ways of communication. We need to get off that couch, once Tosh.O is over, and go explore the world. Go out of your norms and do something that you always wanted to do, but never did. Get part of a student organization on campus, get an intramural team started, go to campus events (Quiet Drive is coming, get your tickets now at WAC), and explore the world and get to know the true friend that you have always been looking for.
I have heard the quote; "The difference between being good and being great is nothing" well I am going to change it up a bit because that quote doesn't make too much sense to begin with. I believe it should be; "The difference between being good friends and great friends is by doing something." Go out today, well maybe tomorrow, and meet someone that you always wanted to get to know better through a cup of hot chocolate, watch a movie, make a snow angel with depth, or do all of it.

2 comments:

  1. What a great post! You could make the world a better place with posts like this. I hope you keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very interesting image, and I agree with your quote "The difference between being good friends and great friends is by doing something." I had experiene of texting to somebody and they said they were busy, their cellphone was being charged, or whatever... and that made me sad! but I think we should be able to understand people's situation if we know them well enough. That is what I found helpful for me! :)

    ReplyDelete