Welcome

I welcome you to my blog! It is my first blog, hope you like it. Click to Print This Page

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Parents and Smartphones

Parents are a huge influence on how their children grows up with the growing technology around them. Some parents are trading in the quality time with their children by giving them gadgets to keep their child occupied and happy. I believe that this is far from the correct path, and it needs to be changed fast.
I see my 14 year old cousin walking around at family gatherings on her phone the entire time, doing who knows what. It just makes me think if she knows how to interact with the outside world, and not the digital world. Here she is with relatives that she hasn't seen in 2 years, and she rather be doing who knows what on one of those smarty pants phone (smart phone).
Why does a 14 year old need the internet on their phone? I don't know what restrictions that these parents honestly put on their kid's phone, or if they even put any restrictions on to begin with, but do they really need the internet is the big question?
These kids are in school for 8 hours per day, so no need for internet there. They hangout at places where you drop them off, or is local, so no need for a map app. They don't have a car, so no need to know the weather because they walk everywhere, or get a ride. Playing games, or watching a youtube video just ticks the parents off even more because they don't listen to what you are saying. These habits are just not through the youth, but it is effecting them the most.
If you had/have kids, would you let them have access to the internet? What ticks you off the most when you hangout with your friends (other than texting)?

3 comments:

  1. In fairness to your cousin, I wouldn't be surprised if most of those relatives are people she isn't particularly close to and who she has no real desire to see anyway. I don't think she's missing much here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see where you are coming from, and I now feel like I prematurely posted this. I don't have the strongest connection with some of my relatives, but I still try and interact with them or others at the gathering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I am not sure if these teenagers need internet. Some of my friends parents asked me "why don't you have a smart phone?" and I said, well I don't really need it, I have access to internet at home and work and school. I don't need the access to internet in any other places!! :O If I am in a classroom, I rather not have internet. because I can see some of my friends are checking their facebook or doing something with their cell while the teacher is explaining something!!
    I think that is out of control and not respectful.

    ReplyDelete